Welcome to an extra special 2018 Flying Pig & Heart Mini Training! This season we will help the Flying Pig celebrate 20 years of Cincinnati running while we train as a group for the big day and that means a lot of extra fun for you! As always we will offer several different programs to meet everyone's different goals and ability levels. But a few things will remain the same between them all - a super fun and encouraging environment full of unique opportunities, best-in-town perks, and professional run and walk training (not to mention a few new sponsors that can't wait to hook you up). With two training locations (Blue Ash & Oakley) and up to four group run options per week, we think we have the most versatile and PREMIUM training programs in town! Check out all of the details below to see what program suits you best.
NEW FOR 2018! Are you an experienced runner with a goal of faster times (maybe even a BQ?) and more miles? Check our brand new FLEET FEET ELITE Advanced Training Program
Read more about Our Training Program Philosophy
The Official Training Program of the Heart Mini
As the official Training Program of the Heart Mini we always incorporate the half marathon, 15K and 5K into our Flying Pig training. Not only do we do this because of our close partnership with the Heart Mini, but the timing is also perfect to use these races as a mid-season check on your progress towards the Pig!
If you are training with us for the Flying Pig Marathon we will include the Heart Mini Half Marathon into your training schedule, and if you you are training for the Flying Pig Half Marathon we will include the Heart Mini 15K into your schedule. Note, this does not mean we enter you into the race or pay your race entry fee, we simply incorporate the race into your schedule and suggest you do it - but don't worry all Fleet Feet Sports training participants will get the best Heart Mini race entry discount in town!
- If your goal race is the Heart Mini Half Marathon, you should join the Flying Pig Full Marathon Program.
- If your goal race is the Heart Mini 15K, you should join the Flying Pig Half Marathon Program.
This will ensure that your training mileage and progression stays on schedule for a successful race day in March! Be sure to let us know after you register so we can make the appropriate adjustments to your schedule. And if you are inspired to continue training through the Flying Pig after you cross the finish line of the Heart Mini, you are more than welcome to continue with us!
Flying Pig Full & Half Program Details
- Professionally designed and proven 17-week training schedule, distributed in three 5-week training phases, each with very specific training focuses:
- Weeks 1-5: Base & Pace - these weeks are designed for you to establish your training pace and get comfortable in base mileage
- Weeks 6-10: Build & Strength - these weeks we will begin to increase weekly mileage, add strength and flexibility training, and focus on consistency
- Weeks 11-15: Sharpen & Lengthen - these weeks are designed to hit our highest mileage, longest runs, and most specific speed training
- Weeks 16-Race Week: Recover & Race Prep - the last few weeks of training are dedicated to rest, race planning and staying loose
- Our programs are progressive in nature, with each week building upon the last - slow, steady and consistent!
- 2018 Training Kicks off with "Everything You Need To Know" Info Sessions & Gear Up Events on Tuesday, January 2nd in Blue Ash & Wednesday, January 3rd in Oakley at 6PM. Note these days are NOT workouts but are super informative and great energy! Plus you leave with all of your training swag!
- At these Info Sessions you'll meet you the owners, coaches and team of Fleet Feet, get all of your training team perks, hear from your support crew sponsors and have a chance to get all of your questions answered either as a group or one-on-one.
- First Official Group Workouts are Tuesday, January 9th in Blue Ash and Wednesday, January 10th in Oakley
- Up to 4 weekly group training options:
- Tuesday 6:30PM in Blue Ash
- Wednesday 6:30PM in Oakley
- Saturday 7:00AM both Blue Ash & Oakley locations - you're choice
- Sunday 7:00AM from a variety of local coffee shops with our long time running Fleet Feet Sunday Runners Group (this is a perfect long run make up option). Click here for more info to be added to the Sunday Runners weekly email list. *Note this run does not include Pace Group Leaders and is a bit more casual by nature - but still a great time!
Of course we will also provide the full workout schedule for all non-group training days so that you can keep your weekly mileage in rhythm.
- Full supported group runs and walks complete with refueling stations, turn-by-turn routes (with elevation profiles), and our WORLD FAMOUS volunteer Pace Group Leaders!
- Optional Saturday post-run informational clinics, injury screenings, product demo's, taste testing and more - all in conjunction with our local community partners
- Comprehensive weekly newsletter (a must-read to be "in the know" on the upcoming week's training details, logistical information, group specials and events etc.)
- Complete access to Training Program Coordinator, Head Coaches, Pace Group Leaders and Fleet Feet Sports Owners and Managers (phone numbers, email, Facebook). After all we are one big family and we are here for you!
- Scannable key tag for signing in and out of each group workout and tracking. Also used for emergency contact information
- Complete access to Oxford Physical Therapy, our trusted medical partners, including FREE injury prevention screenings scheduled throughout training
- Optional Pre-Training 5K Time Trial (on Saturday, January 6th at Summit Park in Blue Ash at 8am) for those seeking advice on which training pace group to join. You can RSVP by clicking HERE. (Already know your endurance run training pace? Just select that pace when you sign up (Pace Groups are every :30).)
We want to thank and reward those who choose to train with us every year! Alumni Pricing is Back for 2018! Here's how it works:
Alumni pricing is based on Pig (spring) and Fall training only. This means that you qualify for 2018 Flying Pig Training Alumni Pricing ONLY if you participated in 2017 Fall Training. Other programs like SpeedPlay, Winter Warriors, or Hyde Park Blast training do not count. Participants of each training program who will qualify for Alumni Pricing will receive a coupon code in their final weekly email. Below is an Alumni Pricing Schedule for reference.
- Fall/Queen Bee 2017 qualify for Pig 2018
- Pig 2018 qualify for Fall/Queen Bee 2018
- Fall/Queen Bee 2018 qualify for Pig 2019 (and so on)
Alumni Pricing earns you an additional $10 off training registration. EVEN during initial sale! See Pricing
Coaches & Pace Group Leaders
Meet Jen, Katie, Brian, and Mike here
Learn More about our incredible coaches and Pace Group Leaders here. Are you interested in becoming a Pace Group Leader? See what it takes here.
NEW FOR 2018: FLEET FEET ELITE, Advanced Training Program
It's important to us that all levels of runners have a place to train and achieve their goals. While we strive to make sure our groups are welcoming to all runners and walkers we also want to make sure we offer a program for those who are training at a higher level which include specific time or place goals like qualifying for the Boston Marathon or winning your Age Group at the Flying Pig Half or Full Marathon. While Fleet Feet Elite may not be for everyone, we certainly think having these folks within our group will help raise the knowledge, inspiration and coaching levels of our entire program.
Members of FLEET FEET ELITE will remain part of the larger Fleet Feet Training Program and receive all of the same benefits, but they will be lead by their Head Coach, long time St. Xaiver High School Cross Country Head Coach, Mike Dehring. Coach Mike will lead the group through a very structured and specific training plan that will cater to each individuals overall goal.
All FLEET FEET ELITE Applications must be submitted by December 1, 2017 and a we will announce the complete roster by December 18th, 2017 as we'll need to meet with each runner and establish a plan well in advance of the first of the year.
FLEET FEET ELITE Details
- All invited FLEET FEET ELITE Participants are required to sign up for the standard Fleet Feet Flying Pig Training Program
- Weekly Group Workout Wednesday 6:30PM Fleet Feet Oakley
- Weekly Group Long Run Saturday 7:00AM Fleet Feet Oakley
- FLEET FEET ELITE Coaching Update / News in weekly group newsletter
- Each participant will have a one-on-one conversation with Coach Mike to establish goals and help formulate a training strategy and plan
- Each participant will receive a Limited Edition Fleet Feet Racing Trucker Hat
- FLEET FEET ELITE Strava Group for athletes to share workouts and communicate
FLEET FEET ELITE Qualifications
This program will run significantly more weekly mileage at a faster pace and incorporate more race specific workouts than our traditional program. If you are interesting in joining FLEET FEET ELITE, please fill out this brief questionnaire so we can get to know you and your running a little better. It's very important to us that we get the right people into this program so that everyone's (coaches and runners) expectations are the understood and met.
Participant Pig Perks
- Team Fleet Feet Sports Brooks short sleeve training shirt - NEW FOR 2018, REFLECTIVE INK!
- Team Fleet Feet Sports Brooks Pre & Post Run Technical Hoody - this is seriously an awesome piece!
- $10 Race Registration Coupon for the Heart Mini event of your choice
- Commemorative Flying Pig 20th Anniversary Sticker
- Post Saturday run goodies (coffee, healthy snacks and guilty pleasure snacks!)
- Optional pre-race strategy session with head coach or Fleet Feet Sports staff
- Exclusive Fleet Feet Sports Heart Mini Finisher Pack
- VIP Invitation to our Annual 20/12 Last Long Run & Celebration (2018 details to come)
- $20 Brooks Bucks to be used on any Brooks item during training (expires 5.31.18)
- $20 Fleet Feet Sports Gift Certificate to be used during training (expires 5.31.18)
- And most importantly, being part of a group who's staff, coaches, and Pace Group Leaders will all get to know you personally, understand your goals, and are truly invested in your success. We're your new training family!
- More fun, surprise events and goodies along the way - we don't give it all away just yet!!
Heart Mini & Flying Pig Race Day Amenities
- Covered pre-race group meeting spot near start line with secure bag and gear check
- Professional and Exclusive Fleet Feet Sports photographer on-site race morning to take team and candid pictures (digital images posted on group Facebook Page for FREE download!)
- Premium post-race family and friend meet up and celebration area complete with all of the best snacks, drinks and other treats
- PERSONALIZED Post Race Treats - have something specific you want after you cross the finish line? Let us know and we'll make it happen!
- Dedicated Fleet Feet Sports cheer squad and support crew throughout the course
Post Race Party!
The Tuesday after the Flying Pig Marathon you are invited to our big post race celebration party at the brand new MadTree Brewer next door to Fleet Feet Sports Oakley. These nights are all about celebrating you and your great accomplishment! We bring in great local food and drink as well as other nice treats to help make it a party to remember! Don't forget to wear your medals!
2018 LOCAL Training Program Sponsors
The sponsors of our training programs are far more than just a logo on a shirt. Each of them will add exceptional value to your overall training experience. They bring unique qualities and products to our group that we think make our training program the most well-rounded, fun, and valuable in town! We think you'll agree!
- Oxford Physical Therapy - Official Wellness & Injury Treatment and Prevention Partner (our original partners, true family)
- The Green Farm Juicery - Official provider of nutrient dense juices, milks and elixirs AND new neighbor of Fleet Feet Sports Blue Ash (delicious!)
- Madtree Brewing - Official celebration beverage and home of our famous post-Pig party! (more than a great drink, these folks know how to support a community like the best)
- Cycle Bar of Kenwood & Hyde Park - Official indoor cross training experience (if the weather stinks or you're rehabbing an injury that's keeping you from running these guys have your back)
2018 LOCAL Training Program Supporters
Registration & Pricing
- $125 for the first 125 to sign up - hurry, these typically go before December!
- REGISTRATION CLOSES (January 31, 2018)
- 2018 Year Pass: $299 (Registration Closes December 31, 2017)
Which Training Program FITS You Best?
Other Helpful Resources